Frequently Asked Questions
1. When is the deadline for applying to Mundus Urbano?
April 15th of each year.
2. What are certified copies?
A certified copy is a copy (often a photocopy) of a primary document, which has on it an endorsement or certification that it is a valid and true copy of the primary document. Such certification is provided and signed by a nominated person or institution, authorised by legislation to do so. The authorised person/institution varies between countries, and can be, for example, a court clerk, solicitor, or public notary.
3. What is a single compiled .pdf file?
A dossier compiling ALL required documentation into one file.
4. What is the required documentation in order to apply to Mundus Urbano?
In addition to the documents required by TU-Darmstadt's online application listed on the application form, you will need to provide: statement of motivation, list of publications (if any), proof of nationality, reference names and contact data (optional) and proof of professional or academic work experience and length.
5. Do you have to translate ALL your documentation to English?
Yes. ALL documents that you wish to include in your package must be translated to English if you wish them to be considered as part of your application.
6. Do I have to include recommendation letters in my application package?
No. You may do so if you wish and if you particularly feel that the reference letter will add weight to your application.
7. What is the link to complete the online application to TU-Darmstadt?
You can complete the online application here: Online application for degree programmes.
8. Can I transfer application paperwork from one year to the other?
At the moment, you may not. You are also advised to send your application again in order to go through it and to improve it.
9. Whan will I be informed if I was accepted to Mundus Urbano?
You will be informed approximately at the end of April or beginning of May each year.
10. May I send my English test results later than other documents?
We strongly advise applicants to include ALL documentation in the application file. If it is not possible, your English language proficiency certification must be sent by the end of January at the latest.
11. Do I have to speak German, French or Spanish to join the program?
No, the official language for the course is English. This is why you have to provide an official English proficiency certificate.
12. What kind of English knowledge certification do I need to apply to Mundus Urbano?
You require an official certificate by: TOEFL, IELTS, UNICert III (or proof that previous university studies were conducted in English)
13. What are the results required for my English proficiency examination?
Proof of English language proficiency can be obtained through TOEFL, IELTS, or UNICert. Mundus Urbano considers the following minimum scores for applications:
• Minimum TOEFL score: 570 (paper based), 213 (computer based) or 88 (internet based).
• Minimum IELTS score: 6.5.
• Minimum UNICert level: III.
Applicants whose native language is English or who received their previous university degree from an exclusively English speaking university are exempt from this requirement.
14. What is the university code to send the English certificate?
We do not have a university code, so you should ask your scores to be sent to the following address:
Technische Universität Darmstadt
Fachbereich Architektur – Mundus Urbano
15. What are the criteria for selecting applications?
The applications are assessed according to the following criteria:
• Completeness of documents
• Previous university marks
• Length of previous university studies
• Relevance of overall experience according to CV
• Relevant work experience
• Career objective as portrayed by the motivation letter
• Knowledge of languages
• Number and relevance of possible publications
16. What kind of grades should I have in order to apply to Mundus Urbano?
Academic excellence is preferred for assigning a scholarship, but other criteria are also relevant when evaluating your application. We advise you to complete your application with your best effort if this is the programme you are looking for. The motivation letter and CV also play a significant role in the evaluation process.
17. Can I apply to Mundus Urbano if I haven´t finished my bachelor degree?
No you may not, you require a completed bachelor degree and are advised to acquire some professional work experience before applying.
18. What kind of previous studies do I have to have in order to apply to Mundus Urbano?
Due to the multidisciplinary approach of our program, we encourage professionals of diverse backgrounds to apply to the Master. So far, disciplines joining our program include architects, urban planners, engineers, business majors, lawyers, sociologists, amongst many others. Nonetheless, some previous knowledge in the fields of urban development and/or international cooperation are required to enter the programme. You can check the profiles of Mundus Urbano students on this page to see the diverse backgrounds of previous cohorts.
19. What kind of work experience do I need to apply to Mundus Urbano?
As the main theme of the Master´s program is International Cooperation and Urban Development, you are advised to have experience in related professional fields for your application to be successful.
20. Can I apply to Mundus Urbano without having completed one year of relevant work experience?
You may apply to the program, but due to the nature of Mundus Urbano as an advanced Master programme it is strongly recommended that applicants have worked or completed internships before applying, preferably in fields relevant to the course. However, this it is not an excluding factor, especially for recent graduates.
21. If I am only interested in one of the second year (mobility) programs in Barcelona, Rome or Grenoble, do I still have to apply to Mundus Urbano?
No, you should contact these programs directly and apply according to their selection process.
22. Where can I find more information regarding the Mundus Urbano program?
Through our webpage or contacting us by email: mail(at)mundus-urbano.eu. You can also check the Erasmus Mundus Students and Alumni Association (EMA): http://www.em-a.eu.